The Beauty of Going Natural.
There is a wonderful thing that happens when you switch to all natural skincare. Your skin gets clearer & breakouts occur less often. You feel better - calmer and maybe even a bit happier. Inside and out.
We have always been big supporters of all natural, nasty-free skincare and are proud to offer a range of products that are just that: 100% natural. However, we know it can be pretty hard to navigate around all the "green-marketing" out there. Assuming that natural equals a "good product" (ethical, actually natural and sourced & packaged responsibly) is these days unfortunately, wrong.
Natural doesn't always mean "natural" and sometimes brands labelled "organic" simply contain a handful of ingredients that are organic. Not to mention the differences between all the "natural" labels out there and it gets really hard to know what to look for.
However, knowing your skincare ingredients is so important to your overall health. The amount of toxins we absorb from skincare on a daily basis is larger than we think and the consequences of applying synthetic, chemical-laden skincare products can lead to a number of issues within the body. Only to name a few:
- disturbances in the endocrine system of the body (=hormonal system) that can lead to overly sensitive skin, headaches, inflammation & extremely dry skin.
- sensitivities to chemicals that can manifest as eczema, dry patches, rashes & even acne.
- more serious effects due to neurotoxicity effecting thought-patterns, memory and information processing.
Making sure the products you use are ethically sound, free from harmful chemicals & sourced in an environmental-friendly manner will benefit you (and suppliers!) in more ways you can imagine. And we are here to help you navigate down this path.
Nature offers us an abundance of skin care ingredients which are just as effective (if not more effective) than commercial, chemical-laden products. Reconnecting with the bounty of natural ingredients gives you the certainty that you are using products free of any nasty chemicals and making a more planet-friendly choice!
With only have a few natural ingredients in a product, you don't have to worry about any hidden harmful chemicals (as so often found behind the label "Fragrance"). Honestly, the best and most effective skin care products are often the simplest – plant oils, botanicals and herbs are wonderful and safe options.
things to look out for
Below we have put together some suggestions below to help you on your journey towards a more natural skincare routine:
- Download a list of common chemicals to avoid & use this to help you navigate. A good guide can be downloaded here. You can also refer to the Red List by Safe Cosmetics to learn what to avoid in common products.
- Be open to non-certified brands: Getting certified can be a lengthy and pricey process which is a reason that some smaller brands that use only organic ingredients don't have their products certified. By reading their labels you will quickly be able to see if their raw ingredients are organic and if you want to know more (e.g. where they source the ingredients from) most brands will be happy to tell you.
- Simplify what products you use: Often you don’t need too many ingredients to do the job - a toner made with organic rose or neroli hydrosol (by-product of rose or neroli essential oils) does the job. An efficient face mask can consist of clays and dried botanicals that you mix with water, hydrosol or oils to create fresh each time before use. And a scrub made of organic coffee & essential oils is all you really need to reveal your softest skin.
- Products with no water (sometimes listed as "aqua") are often a good choice as they don't require preservatives (microbes don't thrive where there is no water!) and will last much better. Examples of what you will find in non water-based products are honey, beeswax and oils.
- Support small brands: The smaller a company is, the more authentic they usually are and the more sure you can be you are receiving all the information you need. Also, if a product is being manufactured by a small brand you can get first-hand information from the person making your skincare products.
- Less packaging is more: Look for brands & products that have minimal packaging & use sustainable materials (e.g. glass containers instead of plastic). There is a great post from our friends at Herbs & Heart about the importance of packaging.
- Ask questions: the best way to make sure you know a product is safe & 100% natural is to ask the shop/brand you are purchasing from what the ingredients in their products are, where they are sourced and how they are manufactured. The answers will give you a solid basis from which you can make an informed decision.
Have any questions or want to know more? Send us an email - we'd love to have a conversation with you around 100% natural skincare!